London carries on -- our classes don't really interest me that much. I keep wondering if requesting the chance to do "independent research" would be appropo. My gut reaction is NO. Today we had class in the morning, then had to go BACK to school to listen to the Chief of Police of Kent tell us about ASBOs - which I find appalling. An ASBO is an Anti Social Behavior Order, and what an ASBO does is takes behavior which would not otherwise be criminal (say, spitting on the street or wearing offensive clothing) and they create an order for the individual NOT to do these things. In the event that someone violates their ASBO, they are subject to criminal sanctions including imprisonment up to five years. WHAT? They give them to adults & children, but we were discussing this in respect to crimes committed by juveniles. I mean - where do you draw the LINE?
I decided to buy some online storage space on XDrive.com - 50GB for $9.95/month. It occurred to me that I'm accumulating all these documents & stuff while I'm out here and - while I do have an 80GB external hard drive at home - it's at home. That doesn't help me out here. If my computer crashes or is stolen, I'm sunk. I need to be sure to back everything up. I put most of my pictures on Picasaweb - as most of you know - but that is not enough for me. I need to have more storage that is accessible anywhere for this stuff. I need to know that if my computer is dumped in the Danube or something, that I can still get at all my data. Even if my entire bag is snatched (please, please, please do not let this happen) at least I won't lose all my data, music, photos, etc.
Tonight I met Matt's sister Carla for dinner - it was so lovely. We went to a little Italian place in Soho and had pasta and gelato, a bit of wine. I had such a nice time. I really enjoy her company, she's intelligent and interesting. We have amazing conversations. I enjoy it. This weekend, I'm thinking Dover is on the menu. I might get drenched, but I'm going. I'll take pictures, of course! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Those ASBO's seem a little too subjective for my taste. Unreal!
Post a Comment